Power Plant Careers
AECI’s two coal-based power plants, New Madrid Power Plant and Thomas Hill Energy Center, were constructed from 1966 to 1982 and have been an integral part of their communities in providing quality jobs since that time. We employ almost 500 employees between the two coal-based plants that are essential to providing low-cost energy to member systems. To meet that need, we employ skilled men and women from a variety of backgrounds and training, including engineering, human resources, safety, maintenance, controls, materials management, chemists, heavy equipment operators, mechanics and more! If you enjoy maintaining electrical or mechanical systems, you may be interested in learning more about our entry-level power plant positions periodically available.
Join our diverse team to help provide power to the communities we serve across Missouri, Oklahoma and Iowa.
Power plant responsibilities
Thomas Hill Energy Center and New Madrid Power Plant are part of the Power Production Division within AECI. These coal-based generation facilities produce over 2,300 megawatts of generating capacity. Each position is critical to the safe and reliable operations of the plant facility.
Power plant operations
- Over 2,300 megawatts of generating capacity
- Maintains boilers, generators and balance of plant equipment
- Measures power plant and equipment
- Converted to burn low-sulfur coal in 1994
- Plans plant engineering and improvements
- Manages environmental, health and safety programs
- Oversees boiler code compliance efforts to ensure boiler safety
- Continuously evaluates best practices and new technology applications Works safely to ensure an accident-free workplace
- 5,795 MW of generation serving more than 875,000 members
- Diverse mix of technologies and resources: wind, hydro, gas, oil, coal and energy efficiency
- One of the largest generation and transmission cooperatives in the nation
- More than 9,600 miles of high-voltage transmission
- Wind power – first in Missouri
- Number of employees: About 665
- Three locations: Headquarters, New Madrid Power Plant and Thomas Hill Energy Center
Associated Electric provides an excellent benefit package most other employers are unable to match. Please visit here to learn more.